From the questbook

Petr Störzer ml.
Dobrý den, coby dlouholetý fanda této zříceniny se chci podělit o současný zážitek z návšt...
14. 08. 2016
Není to jeho pozemek
Já tedy nevím, ale podle Katastru nemovitostí je silnice majetkem Lesy ČR, a nikoliv a par...
02. 02. 2016
Krásný hrad a hloupý člověk pod ním
Dnes jsme byli navštívit tento hrad a předem zde patří poděkování všem, kteří se o hrad s...
28. 12. 2015
Vánoční návštěva hradu

Dobrý den,
asi jako každý rodák z Oseka s nadšením sleduji, jak nám ten hrad ...
26. 12. 2015
Zdravím, zkoušel jsem už jednou poslat příspěvek, ale zřejmě to neprošlo přes bezp. kód. D...
20. 12. 2015

Contact information

Provozovatelem je a
za obsah stránek odpovídá

Městský úřad Osek
Zahradní 246
41705 Osek
Česká republika
   tel: +420417837202telefonek
   fax: +420417837203
      Napsat e-mailobalka


Visitors counter

This WeekThis Week417
This MonthThis Month4590
All DaysAll Days741119
Online 9
Page started 2.10.2010

Hlavní strana
01 September 2017, 17.57
Dovolujeme si vás pozvat na výstavu Rýzmburk v době pozdního středověku   Vernisáž proběhne v pátek 1.září 2017 od 18:00 hodin Výstava bude otevřena od 1.září do 1.října 2017 Exponáty jsou zapůjčeny z regionálního muzea v Teplicích a Archeologického ústavu v Mostě 3D ....
07 March 2016, 21.26
Touto cestou bychom chtěli poprosit kohokoliv o zapůjčení nebo zprostředkování materiálů o hradu. Zejména sháníme starší fotografie, pohlednice, malby a jiné podobné materiály, které by nám pomohly při přípravě projektové dokumentace - oprava hradu. Kontakt:, ....
07 March 2016, 21.14
Ve dnech 12.-13.3. 2016 od 9:00 pořádá Sdružení pro záchranu hradu Rýzmburk brigádu – Jarní úklid. Práce budou zaměřeny na úklid celého areálu (hrabání listí, ořez náletů, sběr odpadků, atd.). Tímto srdečně zveme všechny přátele památek, kteří chtějí pomoci dobré ....

Vážení návštěvníci, s ohledem na vaší bezpečnost a zamezení ničení státní kulturní památky vás žádáme, abyste dodržovali návštěvní řád.



Ryzmburk - short history of castle
Ryzmburk - short history of castle

The earliest mention of the castle is in the document from the year 1250, surname Bores (of Rýzmburk). The historical research of the building confirm that was built shortly before that date (1248/1249) one of the towers in the upper part of the castle. The castle (or whose oldest part was built) so sometime in the first half of the 13th C. It was in the strategic location on the edge of the Ore Mountains on the important long distance route from the Czech Republic to Saxony, which has been used since prehistoric times, situiert.
The former castle owner - the men of giant castle, or "Hrabišic" - computing (they had a rake in the arms), were among the most important medieval noble families of the Czech Republic and thus of engaging in the development of the entire Northwest region of the Czech Republic. Osek In addition, they founded the important Cistercian monastery. Many members of the family also worked at important posts in the royal court.

The gentlemen of giant castle in 1398 sold their property, including the castle in Osek the Margrave of Meissen, and returned in this Region never return. The castle served as a residence and was no longer continue in the administration of a certified official - Burggrafen. Sales of the rule Osek and Dux played but it will without the consent of the king, aged dispute over what the property, which only stopped in 1459 by returning to the hands of the Bohemian king. In 1530 King Ferdinand I sold the castle giants castle to the Lords of Sulevice. This settled soon thereafter (to 1538) in the more comfortable castle in Dux, while the castle giants castle was abandoned and slowly began to degenerate.

Giants Castle is one of the largest castles in the Czech Republic. It is based on a long and narrow rocky spur, which flows around the east and vyhlidkavez_mnorth side with a river. From the perspective of medieval military affairs is a quality fortress, which was apparently never conquered. The castle has two basic parts. The core with residential tower and chapel is located in the höchsten part of the rock back. To him is from the south and west side, the umfangreicherste on a wall with turrets Sagittarius limited object, which dominates to this day, the massive flight tower (known as Mountain Time).

The ruins were in the 19th Century, a popular picnic spot, in the thirties, they even visited the famous romantic poet Karel Hynek Macha-color, and made the portrait. In the second half of the 19th century at the peak of the escape tower was built, an outlook that is accessible by a staircase neueingebaute. Today the castle is almost in the whole extent hidden in wooded areas and is not used for tourism. But further, it is one of popular destinations and walks.
Origin: Mgr. Michal Soukup

Disposition of the castle



History and present. Move the slider with the mouse.



obrhrad01_mThe Osek Castle (sometimes called also Rýzmburk, Riesenburg or Rysenburch) is one of the most interesting medieval castles, and also one of the least rebuilt. Many authors have focused on the castle in their works. Detailed information can be found in a 15-volume study of the History of Czech castles written by A. Sedlacek (Sedlacek, 1927–37). Much useful information can also be found in the work of D. Menclova (Menclova, 1972), who wrote the latest important work in this area. Very significant was a historical and structural survey carried out by F. Gabriel (Gabriel, 1990).

mapahrad1_mFrom the standpoint of the overall research carried out by Durdik (Durdik, 1981) the Osek castle has grown in significance. The outcomes of the latest study of the development of Czech castles in the twelfth and thirteen centuries mention the Castle as an outstanding example of a concentric castle with perimeter buildings and a residential tower (the tower palace). Therefore the castle is very likely to be an important subject to further research.

The stone castle is located about 2,5 kilometres far from the Osek monastery. It was built upon a rocky promontory, which divides the adjoining valley into two parts. The valley is surrounded by the Krusne Mountains (the Spicak and the Stropnik mountains particularly) and contains the Osek town. That’s where the paths up to the mountains and further to the boarders used to lead. Streams surrounded the paths. The streams flow alongside the promontory, surrounding it from both sides, and flow together in the valley under it. The water from the streams was used to drive millwheels, probably even during the Middle Ages. laube1924_1mThe promontory in the form of narrow rock formation extends out into the valley from the northwest to the southeast. It disappears at the place of a former lodge and reappears again after 45 metres, just more east. It then raises more than 20 metres above the surrounding land – it thus constitutes the highest point of the castle area. This is where one of the highlights of the castle - the tower palace, was built. The place where the rock formation disappears separated the castle from its surroundings.

The north-eastern hillside is very steep and rocky, and ends with a stream and a path. The land then steeply rises again, forming the mountains. The south-western hillside is less steep and it gradually verges into a valley. A path and a stream surround the valley. Most of the castle building material was taken from the promontory - you can still notice the rock has been mined there if you look at it. The types of rock that can be found here are paragneiss and schist. Sandstone imported from some nearby area was also used for construction of the castle. A survey of the sandstone would be interesting, especially for the unique vicinity of the sandstone to the bedrock of Krusne Mountains. A 16-th century fountain in the city of Most was allegedly carved out of the Osek sandstone, too.

Osek is a concentric castle with three massive curtain walls in the shape of irregular ovals and buildings built alongside the inner walls. The first and the second oval together create a ward in the south-eastern part, and inner baileys in the northwest and northeast of the castle (those are not the typical fortification baileys though). The outer bailey (which is 200 metres long, and 70 metres high at its highest point) is nowadays accessible through a gap in the wall (which is about 15 metres broad) at the back of the promontory or through the original gate (greatly damaged nowadays) in the southeast. The gate probably used to be the main entrance to the castle, and there is still a path leading to it. It is protected by a 10 metres broad moat. South of the gate there is a platform that changes into a very steep hillside. Just under the platform we can see traces of an L-shaped object, which was probably part of the castle complex and was used for watching the nearby area. However, none of it was preserved. The terrain then goes further down for another 100 metres.


The path lead from the main gate down the hill and there it came together with another road. The crossroads was next to what is today a house number 21. A rocky formation that leads from the outer walls of the castle ends here. The very first castle gate probably used to be somewhere around here. This allegation is supported by the fact that pieces of sandstone (a piece from the gate portal and a piece of gate lining) were found next to the house. However, the pieces might have been transported from the castle only to build the houses nearby. The gate might have been connected to the rest of the castle by a castle wall or a palisade. Yet there is almost nothing left of that connecting structure nowadays, no visible traces in the terrain (except of a rather small rampart). pudorys_prazdnyHowever, this might be a consequence of agricultural activities that were carried out on the slope of the hill until quite recently. Whether the castle had yet another entrance cannot be determined with certainty unless another excavation is done.


Data and indicators

Area defined by the outer wall circuit (except of the brewery area) 8075 m²

Length of the outer wall circuit (including the gate, excluding the brewery) 455 m

Area of the inner ward (objects including) 1660 m2

Area of the inner castle (objects including) 1030 m²

The inner castle courtyard area 475 m²

The tower palace area 92,8 m²

The area of the western palace of the inner castle 165,6 m²

The area of the south-western tower of the inner palace 77,4 m²

Built-up chapel area (approximately) 130,0 m²


Zdroj: ing. Ivan Lehký, Hrad Osek

© Copyright • Všechna práva vyhrazena. Bez souhlasu autora je jakékoli užití fotografií či textů zakázáno.